Golfers Delight: Hybrids and Fairwaywoods

Friday, February 24, 2006

Hybrids and Fairwaywoods

This morning we tested the Hybrids and Fairwaywoods. In the past I tried hybrids on different occasions, but wasn't convinced of them. So I was a little sceptical about me and the hybrids.

We tested the following:
- Cleveland Hybrid Halo Graphite, 25° loft
- Geotech Rv2 Carbon H4, 23° Loft
- Honma U22 Utility Wood ARMRW 2* R
- Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 6 Regular, 29° Loft
- Komperdell Hyperglide 22
- Kasco K2K 44R
- MacGregor MT Utility, 23° Loft
- Srixon AD Hybrid '4 Regular
- Taylormade Rescue Dual 22RH R 80
- Wilson Dh6, 22° Loft
- Voit V10 Hybrid, 21° Loft
- Ping G5 Hybrid, 22° Loft


After hitting a couple of shots I soon found my favourites: Cleveland Hybrid Halo Graphite and Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 6 Regular. They fitted like a glove, good solid impact and between 150 and 200m in length. Normally, for these distances I would use something between 5 iron and 5 wood. Surprisingly, the Cleveland hybrid had the almost identical design as the Ping G5 hybrid. The Ping produced the same lenght as the Cleveland, but not with the same precision.

I was curious about the Honma, as I had never played the brand before. My two shots with the Honma driver on the course yesterday were impressive, but the hybrid didn't meet my expectations. It produced some good lengths, but it didn't "feel" that good. I didn't think that it had such a good error tolerance. I'd definitely prefer the Callaway, and its more than half the price.

We didn't get through with all the Fairwaywoods today (rain still pouring), but my two favourites at the moment are the Sonartec SS2.5 3wood and the Callaway Big Bertha X 3wood. I'll get back on those tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home